Raga The Rnb- Beginning of my musical journey (Pt-1)



Hi!

This is Raga (Anurag Atwal).

I am a singer, songwriter, music producer and mix engineer at from New Delhi, India. I started my musical journey few years back when I was in college. I have done engineering in Electrical & Electronics but my interest was always in music.


Raga The Rnb


About my childhood

I grew up listening to Indian music as I am born in India so I had my first musical exposure to Indian music only. I got inspired from singers like Sonu Nigam, Shaan, Adnan Sami and many more.
I used to try to sing at home when I was a kid. I never went to a music school as we didn’t have enough money to afford that so I used to listen to music on cassettes that was the only way I used to practice. When I was in high school I started listening to English music and I remember I heard Michael Jackson’s song Billie Jean he became my inspiration. I used to listen to 80’s music, Backstreet Boys, Michael Jackson, Linkin Park, Latin music and Chinese music as well. Those were good times and music was taking over my heart and mind.

About my adulthood

Soon after starting my college I started a band  named D18 with my friends. We started with Hip-hop music and I started as Rnb artist. Rnb to me is Soulful singing. Michael Jackson, Chris Brown and Backstreet Boys (though it was Pop music) inspired me. I made many songs in two years though I didn’t have money for recording songs but the desire in me to make music was bigger than any circumstances or obstacles so I borrowed a mic from a friend and I watched some tutorials on YouTube. At that time the internet used to be very slow and there were not enough tutorials like we have now. It used to take a lot of time for video to buffer but I was patient. An artist should always have patience and I firmly believe that patience is the key to success. After watching some tutorials I plugged the mic to the PC and I used Acoustica mixcraft software, Reaper, Adobe Audition, Magix Samplitude etc. for mixing. I implemented all the things I have learned from tutorials and with that we created our very first song. It was a Eureka moment for me. We were very glad and excited to make our first song and to hear our voices in a song for the first time. We were also very excited about the idea that what will be the reaction of people to our song.

We faced a lot of criticism but we never let it stopped us or demotivate us and I kept moving forward. In around 2-3 years I made 20-25 tracks with my band. We used to put our songs on MySpace.com at that time (6 years back) all new artists used to put their songs on MySpace. It was an audio streaming website where artist used to receive feedback and comments on the songs.

The whole concept of creating a song was to download some beats from YouTube and write the lyrics on that. We used to write our own lyrics and everyone used to write lyrics for what they want to sing in the song.

Everything was going nice and easy but not for long ……………….. To be continued.




Popular posts from this blog

Raga The Rnb - Hard Work always pays off sooner or later(Pt-3)

Raga The Rnb - Living My Dream (Pt-4)

Main Tere Bin